I am in love with this arrangement.  Not just because "love is in the air" because Valentine's Day is just around the corner, either.  I love the varied sizes of blooms, the complimenting but not matchy-matchy colors and I love that it cost me $15.


I love that it is not a "perfect" looking bouquet.  I strongly believe that flowers should look as natural as possible - they really are more beautiful that way.  The natural beauty of the flowers really comes out when they are arranged casually, instead of tightly constructed.  

I was shocked how beautifully these roses opened up.  The different sages of blooming give them a "real" garden rose look.


Here is what the roses looked like when I got home from the store.


I trimmed each stem, then stripped it mostly of their leaves - leaving only a few at the very top of each.


Here they are all trimmed up and ready to go.


The rule of threes applies to almost everything in the design world - flowers are no exception.  So, I grouped the flowers in stems of threes, then put them together.  Grouping each color is a more pleasing look - you don't want the arrangement so homogenous that it looks polk-a-dotted.  You want it to seem like you gathered it in the garden.


Then I add three more groupings around the first set - placing the unlike colors next to each other.


One more set. 


Trim the ends of the flowers.  They will need to be shorter than you think.


Then, switch vases.  Oops!  After I made the arrangement, then set the table, I decided I wanted to change the vase to make it less modern and more romantic. Amazing what a little switch like that can make.


 I made this arrangment to be the centerpiece of our Barefoot Contessa "Foolproof" Valentine's Day Dinner - see the menu and more details, here!

Here is the easy-to-pin strip! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top