I think it is so fabulous to be able to make something out of nothing. I love that with a few simple ingredients (hello, cake mix!) and tools, it is possible to make something really beautiful. These hydrangea cupcakes are a great example of making something really pretty out of nothing.



I've wanted to try these cupcakes for a long time. The hydrangea in our neighborhood are turning from bright blue to a deep blue, purple with touches of green. They are just amazing. I have a very generous neighbor that invited me to cut blooms from her bushes whenever I wanted... obviously, she didn't know what she was saying! Though tempting, I've only borrowed this one time to use as a centerpiece to go along with these cupcakes.

I used a box cake mix for the cupcakes - no shame. To set off the color of the blue "hydrangea" I used these Brown Cupcake Papers They are taller than standard cupcake papers, but still fit into a standard 2" cupcake pan. They make a bigger cupcake, which is nice when you use this much frosting.

Here is a link to the frosting recipe I use.


 Fit the piping bag with a Jumbo Star Tip (I used these disposable bags to make clean up easy).


To get the variegated blue/purple look,  I made the blue color first, set half of it aside...


Then mixed in a little red to make the purple color.  There is only a slight difference, making them look more realistic.  Can you see the streaks of purple?  It just sort of naturally happens when you put both colors in together.  I use a small spoon to help get it into each side of the bag.  You don't have to do it perfectly, just a little bit of each color makes them look great.



I'm trying a new thing - video!  Here is a little technique video to show you how I make them look as real as possible.  What do you think?  Do you want me to do more videos?



I served these for my sister's birthday, so I used Celebration Candles in Seaside with my Monogrammed Hemstitch Cocktail Napkins for dessert.


You can buy them as a set in my store, or purchased them individually (Celebration Candles & Cocktail Napkins).  I think the set makes a great birthday gift for someone.


The cocktail napkins work great for dessert... and cocktails, obviously.

Here is the Pin Strip!



Stay tuned for details on the Blue Hydrangea themed table setting tomorrow!

Resources :

Celebration Candles - Seaside
Cocktail Napkins - Seaside
Disposable Piping Bag
Jumbo Star Tip
Brown Cupcake Papers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top