Our February Saturday mornings have been very cozy around here.  Usually, I get up early and get to go to the grocery store all by myself : )  Little luxurious.  Strangely enough, I always buy/spend way more when I'm alone - probably because I'm a more ambitious cook when I'm shopping in a non-hectic, chasing after Emma fashion.  On this Saturday morning, (in addition to quite a few of other things) I came home with Blood Oranges, Blueberries and Tulips to inspire a big breakfast.



Our Saturday morning breakfasts usually consist of scones, pancakes or cinnamon rolls, bacon or sausage, herb scrambled eggs and fruit.  Much to Mike and Emma's delight, I've recently been experimenting with different pancake recipes.  I started with two favorites - Barefoot Contessa Sour Cream Banana Pancakes + Pioneer Woman Perfect Pancakes.  After tinkering with the proportions of each, and adding our own favorite flavors (blueberries & my coveted vanilla bean paste), I came up with our new go-to recipe.  One of the tricks (brought to my attention by my sister) is to cook them in half oil and half butter.  You get the brown crisp from the oil and the lovely buttery flavor.



If you follow me on Instagram, you've already seen the above a sneak peek from the morning of.  By the way, Instagram is the easiest way to get in touch with me if you have any questions or comments about a recipe.  I find that I am actually pretty quick with responses on there because they come right to my phone and I don't have to login to the blog, as I do when responding to comments below.  Just an FYI if you need to ask me a question in a hurry.

You'll also see a lot of Emma on my Insta : )



Emma's doing her part and setting the table with her flower arranging... her favorite craft of the moment.  I must tell you that we discovered the tulips were a little bit more challenging than the spray roses.  The stems were a little too tempting to snap in half... making a couple of very tiny tulips that had to spend the rest of the week in a mini latte bowl sitting in water.
























Our Favorite
Blueberry & Vanilla Bean Pancakes


2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla Bean Paste
1-2 cups of fresh blueberries (depending on how many you like)

2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Butter

Softened Butter
Real Maple Syrup
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Begin by mixing together dry ingredients.  Separately, whisk together milk, sour cream, eggs and vanilla bean paste.  Mix wet and dry ingredients, then fold in blueberries.



Heat a skillet on medium with oil and butter.  Lower heat just a little bit and cook pancakes for 3-4 minutes on each side over medium-low heat until browned.  Keep warm on baking sheet in oven while cooking the rest of the pancakes.

Serve with softened butter and warm Real Maple Syrup.


Emma's tulip arrangement in my favorite Match Pewter pitcher - a wedding present from my Aunt Lisa.





Emma saying her prayer for us with a sweet little bud vase tulip for her high chair tray.


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top