Chicken Tortilla Soup

a healthy, veggie packed recipe

There are many different versions of Chicken Tortilla Soup out there.  Most versions are called Chicken Tortilla Soup because the soup is thickened with corn tortillas that are softened in the broth, then pureed... my Chicken Tortilla Soup is not one of those versions.  Not because I don't like those versions, but because I didn't want to get my blender out and because I was looking to make a healthier version.  So... I'm calling my soup Chicken Tortilla Soup because it reminds me of those soups, but in reality it is more like a Mexican Chicken & Vegetable Soup.  And it is good.  Really good.

When I am making an effort to be healthy I don't like to limit myself from things I like (dessert, cheese, chocolate, pizza, pasta...), instead, I add things that are more healthy like extra fruits and veggies.   This soup helps me do that.  It is full of vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, spinach...) and roasted chicken, but it still has a just enough of the 'good' stuff (and by 'good' stuff I mean 'not-so-good' stuff : sour cream, avocado and cheese) to make it satisfying.  It is a chunky, vegetable packed soup that is full of flavor.  If you do want to make it really healthy, skip the garnishes.   



Chicken Tortilla Soup

a healthy, veggie packed recipe

1 pound of chicken breasts
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of taco seasoning

2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 carrots, large dice
1 (10 oz.) can of Rotel (tomatoes with Green Chiles)
1 (32 oz) can of whole tomatoes
1 quart of chicken stock
4 cups of spinach
4 green onions, diced
Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper
1/4 cup of heavy cream (optional)

Garnishes :
Sour Cream
Avocado
Tortilla Chips
Green Onion

Roast Chicken :
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  On a baking sheet, place chicken breasts, then drizzle with olive oil.  Season all sides with taco seasoning.  Bake for 20+ minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the breasts.

Soup :
In a pot, cook garlic and carrots on medium heat for a couple of minutes.  Add tomatoes, rotel and chicken stock.  Season with salt and pepper, if needed.  Bring to a simmer.  Add spinach.  Cook the soup for 10 minutes until the flavors are well combined.  Finish the soup with heavy cream to add richness (optional).

When the chicken has cooked completely, shred it with a fork.  Place the chicken into the soup.  Serve hot with garnishes.

pinliketweetfollow

twitterlogo1
rsslogo1a1
images1a
pinit

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top