Lately I've been obsessed with Vanilla.  Not just any vanilla, but real vanilla from vanilla beans.  I think it all started when we made a creamy vanilla custard on Christmas Day for dessert.  I couldn't stop licking the bowl.  I could not stop.  Yesterday, I made a Vanilla Cream Sauce with Meringue Clouds for a dessert feature I was working on for another blog for which I contribute (I'll share the photos and link shortly).  There is something about cooked vanilla that sends me into a tizzy.

With my new found obsession with all things vanilla, I thought I'd try some vanilla coffee K-Cups... after all, I love vanilla lattes.  Nope.  I should have known!  The "French Vanilla" flavor was nothing like the warm flavor of real vanilla.  Suddenly, I remembered an amazing vanilla bean syrup I put in my latte at Natasha's Mulberry & Mott in Kansas City (left : photo of her peppermint & orange syrup).  So, this morning I made a batch of Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup to accompany morning coffee... it was everything I hoped it would be!  Real, warm, slightly sweet vanilla.  Ummmm. 

Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup

warm fuzzy in a bottle


2 cups of sugar
2 cups of water
1 vanilla bean

Scrape the beans from the vanilla bean.  In a saucepan, mix together sugar, water and seeds from the vanilla bean.  Cook on low heat until it simmers.  Cook for 8-10 minutes until the liquid has reduced. 


Cooking in the saucepan with the bean seeds and the bean.


Bottled up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top