As I've said (way too many times...) whenever I ask Mike what he'd like to have for dinner, or what he'd like me to serve if we're having company the answer is usually steak (and a chocolate cake, for that matter).  Sometimes I resist, insisting that we should try something new and different that I can blog about.   

Last weekend we were having the same conversation on Sunday night, then I thought - I bet everyone has this conversation with their husband.  Instead of resisting, I decided to prepare the steaks as we always do (seared on the stove, finished in the oven...), but try a new sauce on top and a new interesting side. 


The interesting side (besides the roasted asparagus) was a curry cauliflower gratin... it needs a little work, but the steak sauce was a definite keeper.  Inspired by Ina's Veal Chops with Caramelized Shallots (yes, I'm still working my way through Foolproof...), I prepared my own version of the Caramelize Shallot sauce and served it over seared steaks.  Her recipe called for sherry vinegar and port wine, neither of which I had, but I used red wine and it worked great.


As I mentioned in my last post, we had all of our meals on the porch last weekend to take advantage of the first real springy weekend.

I served the sauce over steaks that I seared in a skillet - my favorite way to prepare steaks.  Here is the link with step-by-step instructions that has recently taken off on pinterest... I guess everyone is looking for a great way to make steaks at home.  Here I used strip steaks, but you can use your favorite cut.

Sweet Shallot Wine Sauce
with Seared Steaks

6 whole shallots
6 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons of butter
Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper
1 cup of red wine
1 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar
red pepper flakes,
small pinch of
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Peel outer paper skin from shallots and trim the roots off leaving the end intact to hold it together.  Cut them into quarters lengthwise. 

 

In a large ovenproof pan, melt half of the butter then add the shallots, garlic, salt and pepper.  Cook for a couple of minutes then place the pan in the oven for 30 minutes.  Toss half way through.


Remove the pan from the oven and place it on the stove top.  Add the rest of the butter and wine.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 6 minutes until thickened.  Add brown sugar, red pepper flakes and thyme.  Cook for just 1 more minute until thick.  Serve poured over steaks.



Because steaks are such a great (and popular) option to serve for entertaining, I plan to do more versions of "Steaks and Sides" - share with me your favorites!  I'll let you know if I ever get the Curry Cauliflower Gratin worked out...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top