How to Decorate 
Baby Bird Sugar Cookies

These birds might be my absolute favorite sugar cookie.  I've used them for every occasion - baby showers, wedding showers, Easter, Christmas, birthday parties and  Valentine's Day.  I originally shared this baby bird with you in 2010 for my sister's baby shower (warning: old photos!!) and then in 2011 (and reposted in 2012) for Valentine's Day.  I just love how the robin's egg blue bird looks with pink hearts - a very fun and cheery combination.  

Here is my sweet Emma helping me roll out the cookies.  I decorated the birds during her nap time - I like doing projects like this during her naps, I find it to be very relaxing, and much more rewarding than folding laundry.

These bird cookies might look complex, but they are very easy to make by just following a couple of steps - it is just about filling in simple shapes.
  

Below, I've outlined the steps for creating the bird at home.  I love using clear Fine Sanding Sugar to accent the wing with a little sparkle - any color of icing shows through.  Here are some of the supplies found in my store that you might find helpful : 
 


Packaging Supplies : 

Packaging options are endless, but my favorite way to display these is in a Kraft Cookie box - it really makes them look like a very special gift.





Begin with sugar cookies that have cooled - I use my favorite Sugar Cookie & Royal Icing recipe, found here, that is also included with the cookie cutter.


Begin with white Royal Icing and make the breast of the bird.


Next, use the blue icing and pipe an outline of the entire body.


Fill in with icing, then spread and smooth with the tip of a bamboo skewer or toothpick.


Let harden for 30 minutes to an hour before the next step.


When the body icing has hardened, pipe a wing on the bird and immediately... 


Sprinkle a generous amount of Fine Sanding Sugar over the wet icing wing.


Gently shake off excess.


Sparkling Wing!


To finish, add details like an eye, beak and feet.

Here are some of the other versions I've made throughout the years...


Here are the Easter Cookies from last year - still love these and all of those fun eggs!
 
I made these for Jill's Baby Shower four years ago - it was a January shower, so did snow birds in creams and greys.


Here is the easy-to-pin strip!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top