It is not often that I go on kicks of any sort.  Typically, I believe in eating whatever I want and walking a lot.  We usually eat pretty light during the day and have big dinners with bowls of pasta and bread - which I know is exactly the opposite of what you're supposed to do.  My system seems to work for me, my small (but frequent) treats keep my cravings at bay and at the end of the day we have a comforting dinner.



However, every once in a while I need a mini cleanse.  Not a strict all juice diet, but just a weekend of feel good food and activities to refresh myself.  Last weekend Mike and I treated ourselves to a one night getaway at The Elms (a local grand historic spa and hotel) to rejuvenate and relax.  The weather here was unbelievably nice so we took a lot of walks outside.  It felt like the smallest glimpse of Spring and put me in the mood for a really fresh and healthy dinner.  This is the simplest dish to prepare - all in one pot.  It would be perfect for an elegant luncheon, too.

Poached Salmon 
& Vegetables
with lemon garlic aioli
serves 4



1 pound of salmon (4 filets)
2 pounds of carrots, peeled and large dice
1 pound of baby potatoes, quarted
1 pound of green beans, trimmed and halved
spring greens & spinach mix
....
4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
1 cup of olive oil





Season a large pot of simmering water with 2 tablespoons of sea salt.  Cook potatoes and carrots in simmering water for 5 minutes. 


Add green beans and cook for another 3 minutes.


Remove vegetables from water (keeping the water in the pot) and set aside.

 
Add salmon and cook for 5-10 minutes (depending on the size of your filets).  


Meanwhile, make the aioli in a food processor or with a small bowl and whisk.  Begin by chopping (in processor or by hand) garlic and salt together.  Add egg yolk to the garlic and whirl.  Add lemon juice (after juicing, I added the lemon to the pot of water for extra fresh flavor), red pepper flakes and black pepper.  Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whirling (or whisking) until mixture has thickened.

To serve, place a pile of greens on the plate, then add vegetables and top with salmon pieces.  Drizzle aioli over the entire plate. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top