Who doesn't love a mini dessert?  Especially when they are filled with spiced apple filling and topped with salted caramel.  They make a darling gift when wrapped up or a cute presentation for dinner topped with ice cream (and more caramel and sea salt, of course).

Emma and I made these to give to her teachers as a Back-to-School present.  We thought it'd be better than just the classic Apple!  I've listed all of the packaging details below.

I love these Petite Tart Pans - I think they look very professional.  It can be so hard to find elegant, unadorned bakeware unless you are a professional baker.  These are fantastic - and disposable.  They are incredibly sturdy and have a non-stick coating that allow you to take the tart of the pan easily, if you'd like.  I can't wait use them to make pecan tarts with a shortbread crust... and individual brownies like those from the Barefoot Contessa's new book.



You can make homemade Salted Caramel sauce (my recipe here), or use a store-bought, then add sea salt to it.  If you've never made it homemade before, I highly recommend it - there is nothing quite like it and it is very easy.  
 
Sign-up here for my Printable Recipes.

Salted Caramel
Apple Tarts


makes 4 tarts

My Easy Pie Crust Recipe
4 apples
1 teaspoon of orange zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
...
Caramel Sauce (store-bought or my homemade, recipe here)
Sea Salt
Begin by making the pie dough from My Easy Pie Crust Recipe (link above).  Let it rest in the refrigerator while you prepare the apple filling.


Sign-up here for my Printable Recipes.

To start, cut apples into thin wedges - while cutting out the cores.  I leave the peel on because I like the color.


Emma likes to wear her baking gloves all of the time... you can never be too cautious!  ; )


Zest the orange.  Don't skip this part - it adds so much flavor!


Add zest, orange juice, cinnamon, salt and sugar to the apples.  Toss to coat.


Roll out the crust on a well floured board.  Trace the tart pans about 1-inch bigger with a small knife.

 

 Press the dough into the pans and pinch off the excess.

Fill with the apples.


I like to pile them in, over the top because they do cook down.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until browned on top.


After baking, and before serving, drizzle on Caramel and then sprinkle with Sea Salt.


For serving, warm in microwave or oven, then top with ice cream and more caramel and sea salt.



Happy almost fall baking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top