DIY Craft Hutch


Welcome to my new favorite spot in our house - my charming little corner of supplies and storage.  It is filled with all of my entertaining essentials, linens, candles and the packaging supplies that I use for gifts.  It sits right in my kitchen by a big window, where I used to keep my desk (as you might remember).  I've dreamed about having a spot just like this for years... I had no idea that it was a weekend DIY project and $200 away from becoming a reality.


You might be wondering why I went to all of this trouble for a room that is going to be torn down in three weeks...  Funny, Mike asked the same question.  As I explained to him, I'll be taking this with us to our temporary home (more on that later...) while the new addition is being constructed.  It will serve as my product "home base" for the store and will be a perfect spot for me to style my photos while we're away from our home.  And then... it will be installed in our new mudroom/studio area in the new house.  Win, win.  When we install it in the mudroom, I'll be adding to it (I think) to make it a large counter area.  



This peg board was a last minute addition - it used to be attached to our cabinetry and hold pot holders, but now it holds my current tea towel collection.

*To spare you from too many product links, I've included all products featured at the end of the post.


I used two unfinished cabinets from Home Depot (not sponsored) and screwed them together.  Then I sanded and painted.  It took all of an evening to do.  More details and photos about the process at the end of the post.

I used the same Martha Stewart Living Bedford Antique Brass Pulls (from home depot) we used in our current kitchen and plan to use in the new kitchen.

You might recognize the wood top - it was on my old desk that sat in this same spot.  More DIY details about how I refinished the top at the end of the post.



Why didn't I do this 2 years ago?!   With very little storage in our kitchen, I had been keeping my  platters, candles, packaging, etc.  in the dingy basement.  No more!  




You can see the top is very distressed and worn - I like it that way.  It came from my old desk that I bought in college for my first apartment.  I've used it since then all through each new adventure and project.  I'm glad to have reinvented it in a new way that I can still use.

Now for a look inside :

I have all of my Wood Candle Holders lined up ready for my next table setting, Linen Tea Towels & Napkins in a basket so I can take them in and out easily without messing them up, Kraft Boxes for packaging cookies and Kraft Bags for last minute gifts.


In the drawers, I keep all of my gift tags and cards, ribbons, scissors, twine, etc.





I also keep a stash of Cello Bags, Labels and Tablets that are sold with my Le Pens (restocked today!).


I got this wooden organizer in the silverware organizing section - storing my Everyday Cards & Tags, Le Pens (added a new Brown color for Fall), Bakers Twine, Scissors & Everyday Tin Candle.


Ribbons, Taper Candles & Cotton and Jute Twine.


And, of course... all of my bakeware supplies.


And here is a look at the pulls - at only $4 each, they are the most affordable and beautiful brass pulls available.  



The Butternut & Acorn Squash are doing a great job holding up the Creamware Platters.


Okay, so here is how I made it.  It started at about 9pm at night.  I bought two 18" unfinished cabinets from Home Depot.   You could just buy one set that is 36", but I wanted to have half drawers and have cabinet, so this was my only option.  For both, it was about $170.




I sanded, then painted them my favorite - Benjamin Moore Navajo White in Satin.  It is the same color our cabinets will be in the new kitchen.


You can see how the paint really transformed them.
 

Then, I added the top.


I had recently damaged the finish, so I sanded the old finish down, then stained it with Special Walnut Minwax stain.  I finished it with Tung Oil for a soft, matte luster.

I hope you've been inspired to create your own little corner of happiness!  I can not emphasize enough how easy this was, and how much storage I've gained in our small kitchen for all of my goodies.

Products Featured (and stored!) in my Craft Hutch :

Linen Tea Towels & Napkins

Wood Candle Holders

Kraft Boxes for packaging cookies

Cello Bags, Labels and

Tablets + LePens (restocked today!)

Everyday Cards & Tags

My Everyday Candle Tin

Ribbons

Taper Candles 

Cotton and Jute Twine

Bakeware Supplies


Here is the Pinterest Strip for easy pinning.


In other store news, I've received a small restock of Herringbone Throws.  I should receive even more in 2 weeks or so.

Hope you have a great holiday weekend - ours is packed with visits from out of town friends, brunch at our house and date night for me and Mike tonight.

Happy Friday!
Jenny



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top