For last weekend's brunch I wanted to serve a dessert that was early day appropriate.  I thought about strawberry shortcake, but the local strawberry season has faded and I'm not a huge fan of shortcakes... but I do love scones (no surprise, right?).  And what about peaches?   Are peach shortcakes a thing?  

You'll notice in the photos that I've switched from using the silpat baking liner to pre-cut sheets of parchment paper.  We used them at the bakery I worked at in college.  I'm crazy about them - no cleaning and non-stick.  They are so nice to have around for packaging, too - work great for wrapping up loafs of banana bread.  I love them so much that they are going to be one of the items I am going to stock in my new... store!

That's right.  I've been working on developing an online shop to be part of the blog that will contain all of my favorite things and things that I always get inquiries about.  I'll carry a variety of "everyday essentials" (like the parchment liners, hemstitch napkins, linen tea towels, candles, kraft cookie/cupcake boxes, etc.), mailable gifts and special seasonal items as well (like cozy throws and pillows in the Fall, and goodies gift packaging for the Holidays).  I'm also designing some custom products that I will carry, too.  I'd love your input on what you'd like to see in my store! 

Back to the scones : 

To make the simple scone a little more special, I added almond extract and crunchy sanding sugar.  The sugar gives great texture and crunch to the fluffy and moist scone.  To put it over the edge, I topped it with vanilla bean whipped cream. 

I can't tell you how good this is.  Silly good and very, very simple.  I think this is what shortcake is actually supposed to taste like!  I highly recommend baking them just before serving (they only take 10-12 minutes) so they are hot and fresh with the cold peaches and whipped cream - or ice cream.



Fresh Peaches with
Sugared Scones
and Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream

makes 12 small scones

2 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla
...
egg yolk
course sanding sugar
....
1 cup of heavy cream
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
....
fresh peaches
sugar
lemon juice

In a mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt using the paddle attachment.  Cut the cold butter into 1/2 inch pieces.  Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low until the butter is mixed in and is the size of peas.  In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, whipping cream and vanilla with a fork.  Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the cream and egg mixture.  Turn off the mixer once added.

Turn the dough out onto the floured surface.  Divide into 2.  Add some flour onto the top of the dough, then pat it out into a 2 disks - about 6 inches in diameter.  Cut the disks into 6 pieces like a pie.


Separate the pieces and put them on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Brush on a little bit of a beaten egg yolk, then top with sanding sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.   




They are non-stick, too.  Perfect for cookies and scones, of course. 
 

Whip heavy cream with sugar and vanilla bean paste until fluffy - about 3-4 minutes.

Peel and slice peaches, then toss with lemon juice and sugar.  Serve scones sliced, topped with peaches and whipped cream.



Back to the store :

I'd love your help as I make final selections for the store.  What items do I often feature in my photos that you'd love to buy?  What sort of things would you like to see me carry?


If you want to pre-order the parchment paper sheets, just leave me a comment and I'll set some aside for you.  I'm thinking they will run about $12 for 200 sheets (that should be a year supply!).  What do you think?  Is that reasonable?  I'm verrrry open to feedback, so please, fire away!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top