When we were in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago, we went to dinner with friends (one of our first nights out without Emma) at a new spot on the Plaza - Gram & Dun.  I had one of the best meals I've had in a while.  Yes, it could very well have been the company - old friends - or the fact that I could have an entire glass of wine.  All of that considered, the Mussels in a white wine, chorizo and tomato broth was the cherry on top.

I think I've mentioned my dining strategy before - I hardly ever order an entree for my meal.  Mike and I typically start with a shared light appetizer followed by a large salad (in this case we had a grilled romaine salad - also great).  Then, for my entree I usually order another starter - it is usually seafood or fish of some sort of seafood.  If there are mussels on the menu, then I almost always order them.  Nothin' better than mopping up a great wine broth with a piece of crusty bread.

As I often love to do, I recreated this recipe for us this week.  Mike is not a huge fan of mussels, though.  Maybe that's why I order them any chance I get?  Instead, I substituted shrimp.  It was amazing.  Almost better, dare I say.

The star of the show was definitely the chorizo and garlic.  And the crusty baguette I toasted then rubbed with raw garlic.  Always a hit. 

I highly recommend you try this tonight.  It is fairly simple, quick and all made in one pan - and gives you an excuse to crack open a bottle of wine on a Thursday night. 

Shrimp in a Chorizo, White Wine, Garlic & Tomato Broth
served with crusty garlic french bread

1 pound of shrimp, peeled
1 pound of chorizo sausage
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 shallot, sliced

6 cloves of garlic, sliced

2 cups of white wine
1-2 cups of chicken broth

1 can of whole tomatoes

fresh thyme
baguette, sliced

1 clove of garlic, whole


Remove the sausage from its casing and break it up into small/medium pieces.  Cook it in a saute pan on a medium/high heat, rendering some of the fat.  Add the shallot and cook until soft.  Add the olive oil, shrimp and garlic.  Cook for 2-3 minutes until the shrimp are pink and garlic begins to sizzle.  With a slotted spoon, remove the sausage, shrimp, shallots and garlic and set it aside, leaving the fat and flavor bits on the bottom of the pan.  Pour in white wine and stir - scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate all of the flavor from the sausage into the wine.  Add the tomatoes by squeezing them in one at a time.  Continue to break them into bite size pieces with the spoon.  Add the juice from the can of tomatoes.  Add a couple of sprigs of thyme.  At this point you can add the chicken broth in to thin the wine sauce to your liking.  Cook for 3-5 minutes. 

Slice the baguette, place the slices under the broiler for 1-2 minutes just until it starts to brown.  Remove it from the oven.  Rub a raw clove of garlic on the crusty side of bread.  


Add the sausage ans shrimp back into the wine broth.  Serve in big bowls with bread.



 All of my ingredients - ignore the bibb lettuce in the back.  That was for a salad that was never made.


Chorizo, Shallots and Garlic in the pan.  Shrimp is next. 

Sorry for the blurry photo - haven't quite mastered dealing with the steam element in my photography.  Tips?


Shrimp!


Everything has been taken out of the pan and the white wine has been added for deglazing.  Scrape up the bits with a flat wooden spoon.


All done!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top