Mike is often requesting that I try to replicate recipes from his parents' neighbor, Mrs. Ross.  Mrs. Ross does a lot of entertaining for their neighborhood family - we are often there for Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving.  He's always describing certain recipes she makes - the 'best' green beans, chocolate sheet cake, and blackberry cobbler.  I found some great looking blackberries so I told him I wanted to try to make a cobbler like Connie's.

Me : "What is it like exactly"
Mike : "It is a cobbler, but it doesn't have a crumbly top."
Me : "So, is it like a dumpling topping?  Like biscuits?"
Mike : "It is more like a cake.  But with berries."
Me : "Like berries on the bottom with cake batter on top?"
Mike : "No, the berries are on top.  Actually, they are in the middle, too."  
Me : "I think I'll just call your Mom."

Berry Cobbler
from Connie Ross's Kitchen

*I had 3 cups of berries, so I made 1 1/2 of this recipe, which filled a pie plate perfectly.

1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1-1/2 to 2 cups berries sweetened to taste

Melt butter until it starts to brown.
Pour into 1-1/2 qt baking dish.
Mix flour, sugar & baking powder with milk. 
Pour over melted butter.
Spread sweetened fruit over melted butter & batter.

Bake about 30 min @ 350 degrees.

Serves 4-6

 



I put in 3 tablespoons of sugar for 3 cups of berries.


Melted butter into the pan.


Mix together dry ingredients and milk.


Pour it into the pan with the butter.


Then top with sugared berries.


Done.  I can't believe how easy!


Ready for the oven.  I baked it a bit longer - almost 35 minutes because of the larger size of recipe.


Baked and beautiful.

 

Just needs a sprinkling of sugar and some vanilla ice cream.

 



Mother's Day Gifts

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top