I love assembling desserts.  When I'm entertaining, any shortcuts that result in something scrumptious looking and delicious is welcome in my kitchen.  I set out to make a trifle... but I somehow have misplaced my trifle bowl.  Funny- I don't think I ever actually used it for a trifle before, but I used it all of the time when I was catering as an elevated bowl for salads, dip, fruit, whatever- and now that I actually need it for a trifle, I can't find it.  Of course.  I think I even had two from the catering days... multiples of everything. 

Anyway, I really wanted to make an elegant, yet slightly rustic and well, sloppily decadent looking dessert.  I decided to make a trifle-looking layer cake with pound cake, lemon curd cream and whipped cream topped with berries.  It turned out beautifully.  I think.


Vanilla Pound Cake with 
Lemon Curd Cream, Whipped Cream & Berries




Vanilla Pound Cake (homemade or purchased)
Recipe of Lemon Curd
1 pint of Whipping Cream
1/4 cup of Sugar
Berries & Fruit
Lemon, zested

Whip the cream with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form.  Add sugar and whip for another 30 seconds.   Slice cake into 3 layers with a serrated knife.  Layer with whipped cream and lemon curd cream between each layer.  Top with whipped cream, berries, fruit and lemon zest. 


I bake my cakes with a piece of parchment cut to the shape of the bottom of my pan.  You can easily use a store-bought pound cake for this 'assembled' dessert.  I baked mine because I wanted a round cake that would fit on this cake stand.


A serrated knife is also known as a bread knife - essential for not tearing up your cake.


Put lots of lemon - half of the recipe between each layer!


Big dollops of whipped cream - enough to smoosh over the sides.


Next layer, please...


This is really just silly simple.  I think a cake made in a loaf pan - traditional pound cake - would look great, too. 


Pile it on.  The messier the better.


Now the pretty fruit.  You really can't mess this up - just make it look bountiful, the secret to all great looking food!


Lemon zest adds...


Just the right thing amongst the dark berries.  Isn't she a beauty?


Wow.  She's messy and pretty at the same time.  Can I say wow about my own creation?


She looks great, piled high and overflowing, as part of a Mother's Day Spring table setting.



Here is the easy to pin strip!



Mother's Day Gifts

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top