Set of 3 for $34
Holiday Gingerbread Cookies

We are having a lazy morning - still in our PJs, both of us!  I made a commitment to have more lazy days this Christmas season, and we're sticking to it.  I also made a commitment to concentrate on less 'perfection' for our projects.  Most days that I take blog/store photos are Emma's school days and I exhaust myself decorating and styling all by my lonesome - not really a spirited day of holiday baking.  Sometimes I need those days all by myself in the kitchen for a little creative outlet, but during the holidays I really enjoy it more when Emma is helping me.

With that being said, I still like a pretty cookie : )   I did some simple piping and she was in charge of sprinkles.  She also did 100% of the piping and sprinkling for the special "Santa" cookies that she wanted to do all by herself.

If you aren't a fan of gingerbread, you aren't alone, but I will tell you - you are missing out.  There is nothing better than a good gingerbread cookie.  The recipe I used in the past wasn't my favorite, so this year I started with my Sugar Cookie Recipe, then added molasses and the spices - soooo good.  The house is filled with the spicy scent of gingerbread and it really smells like Christmas.  You can bake them longer for a crispy, gingersnap sort of cookie, or shorter for a soft, chewy cookie.  I did both - longer on accident with some brown edges that have been perfect with my coffee this morning ; )

Because I know you will be so inspired by these cookies and are so tempted by the idea of gingerbread spices wafting through your home (right?!), my Holiday Copper Cookie Cutters bundles are specially bundled today... Set of Three for $34 - all of my favorites that we used this morning, Reindeer, Snowflake & Fir Tree.





The Best Gingerbread Cookies
15 large cookies

2 sticks of butter, softened
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ginger
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
1 egg
1/3 cup of molasses

Cream together the butter and powdered sugar in the mixer with the paddle attachment.  Add flour and spices, stir on low until just combined.  Add egg and molasses.  Stir on low just until dough comes together.  Turn dough out onto plastic wrap, wrap it and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Roll out dough on floured surface and cut shapes.  Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes depending on the size of the cookie.  If you want a crispier cookie (more like a gingersnap) bake for 10-12 minutes.


Emma sprinkling with Course Sanding Sugar.


 

We also used the White Nonpareils on some.




Products Used : 

- Reindeer, Snowflake & Fir Tree Copper Cookie Cutters, 3 for $34.50

- Parchment Paper, 100 sheets for $8

- Disposable Piping Bags, 20 for $12.50

- Glass Jars of Sprinkles & Sanding Sugars, $12.50 each



I saw this swirly look on a Martha Stewart cookie - very easy to do.



For the others, I used a medium star tip.


Our Santa Cookies are ready to go, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top