Did you know that there is enough food on the planet right this second to feed everyone in the world? 
‘When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’ Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’ - Matthew 25
I don't give out of a need to get bonus points or to redeem myself in some way, or to help me "feel" the holiday spirit.  These types of giving become more about myself than others.  I give because I want to help.  I believe that this world, this earth is filled with so much bounty, so many gifts - enough for everyone.  I like to help others, strangers and ignored people just as I would help my own.  We have enough, we just have to figure out how to share.  I have more than enough, so I share.  If you are reading this blog, you likely have enough to share. 

Each year I share my favorite ways to give (read last year's here).  Throughout the holiday season I find a way to give spontaneously to strangers, Emma helps me pick out toys to donate toys to children's' charities, I spend some time volunteering and and I give money.  I always give anonymously, if possible.  The credit is not mine to take.  I probably know I don't give as much as I can, but I try.  All of these things take some planning, but for me are a part of our holiday schedule - because we have enough, too much, not to share.  

Giving Tuesday

I know that most of you are givers, too.  Today I am going to give to you for giving to others.  For the first 10 people who donate any amount to a charity of their choice (I've listed some of my favorites below), I will send you a $20 gift card for my store.  Forward the confirmation email to store@jennysteffens.com from your donation (again, of any charity of your choice - church, foundation, soup kitchen, whatever) and I will send you a code for a $20 gift card.  


We all want to give, but sometimes we don't know how or who.  I've listed some of my favorites below - some local, some global.  I would love to know some of your favorites, as well!

Hope House (this is a local domestic violence shelter, but it is easy to find one in your neighborhood)

The mission : Hope House services form a safety net of prevention, education and support for thousands of people traumatized by domestic violence every year locally in the Kansas City area.  

Your money at work :  Last year we donated a car full of gifts to their Holiday Store where the women are able to "shop" for gifts for their children.  So, a mother who is a victim of domestic abuse and who is living with her children in a shelter will have gifts to give her children on Christmas morning.


The mission: To feed malnourished children around the world and help communities grow their own food sources.  It’s simple. Action Against Hunger/ACF International fulfills its mission by delivering aid to 7 million people in more than 40 countries annually. “Saving the most vulnerable is our first priority, so we focus on rescuing young children who are on the brink of death, and we have a 90 percent survival rate in the communities where we work,” says the organization’s chief executive officer, Nan Dale. The group doesn’t only offer handouts: In Kenya, ACF has taught more than 43,000 people how to establish vegetable gardens and plant crops that are resistant to drought.

Your money at work: A $45 donation provides 45 days of special energy-dense food for a severely malnourished child.

OxFam American Unwrapped

The Mission : Oxfam America is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice. As one of 17 members of the international Oxfam confederation, we work with people in more than 90 countries to create lasting solutions. Oxfam saves lives, develops long-term solutions to poverty, and campaigns for social change.

Your money at work : $18 can buy a pair of chickens which produces both eggs and baby chicks, providing families with income for today and tomorrow—making this a gift that’s worth crowing about.  A $100 donation can fund a woman's new business.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top